Pages

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Readers, this post is from Jordan Davis, a Hometown News correspondent from Fort Smith, AR and part of the Westark Area Council contingent. I thought it might be nice to have a scout's perspective on Jamboree. Enjoy!

From Jordan:

Up in Fort A.P. Hill, VA is where we are at this 2010 National Scout Jamboree. I'm enjoying this chance to connect to you all back home from a first-person point-of-view, much different from my edited articles in the newspaper back home in Fort Smith.
From this scout perspective, I'd like to say that I'm having an awesome time as a scout here, for many reasons. I don't want to write a 1000-word essay here, but just to explain several of the things going on.
Merit Badge Midway, for one, is a 'midway' that consists of almost all the available merit badges in Boy Scouts. I'm currently working on the Railroading badge, while several of my other buddies are participating in things like Dentistry, Crime Prevention, Metalwork, Pioneering, Golf, and so much more. This is a great place for us scouts to work on our required and non-required badges to get us up to the rank of Eagle!
When we're not there, we could be at a varitey of other places, including (but certainly not limited to) any of the three given action centers, where trap shooting and other gun activities, swimming and snorkling, and patch trading are big things. There are plenty of vendors available for a quick snack while the boys are in the centers looking at things set up by organizations like the Army National Guard.
When we're done with the day and are tired and worn out, we head back to camp to prepare dinners to eat, all of which are more than sufficient. I'd have to say my favorite, most interesting dinner would be a few nights ago when it was Iron Chef Night, and we were given ingredients like Mac-and-Cheese and Spam and things to make a salad. Each night is very interesting, and I'm so glad our Spam-and-Cheese meal turned out well!
This doesn't even touch base of all the exciting things going on here- things like the Technology Quest, where lots of new technological and robotic things are available to work and play with.
I must put in for my position, one of the reasons of why I get this laid-back and special opportunity to blog from a first-person point-of-view, being a Hometown News Correspondent. Perhaps you've seen my two articles in the Southwest Times Record in Fort Smith? When we toured Washington, D.C. prior to the jamboree, four of the boys from our jamboree troop got the special opportunity to place a wreath on the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. My second story was about the amazing new Scout stamp that was unveiled just a few days ago, which I would recommend all of you to get at your local post office!
Enough of my commerializing my position though. In additon, an exciting thing that is hot at the jamboree is the Patch of the Day, of which there are only 2010 made each day for the entire jamboree, which makes them extraordinarily special and valuable to collect.
And I must add one last thing: The Shining Light Across America event last night, a.k.a. the Closing Arena Show, was amazing. People like Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs, the world-known band Switchfoot, and many other awesome people made this show happen, and it was a real tear-jerker toward the end. If you missed it, you missed something amazing!
Thanks guys, for reading the blog, and thank you Trish, for letting me take this time to share my point of view!

1 comment:

  1. Since Trish didn't get to comment on this,
    My name is Jordan Davis, and we thought this would show my name at the beginning.
    I'm from Fort Smith, AR. and was a member of jamboree troop 2143 for the jamboree.
    I was also a hometown news correspondent, so having this relaxed form of writing was a pleasure. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete